International solo and ensemble artist Sandra Wong has toured nationally and internationally as a violinist and nyckelharpist. Currently, her projects include “Kaleidoscope” with Ty Burhoe on tabla and Bill Douglas on piano. She performs with “Wild Earth Ensemble,” including Victor Mestas playing piano; Beth Quist on voice, percussion, and hammer dulcimer; Jon Sousa on guitar; and Joy Adams on cello.
Wong also plays in a trio with Roger Landes on bouzouki and Beth Gadbaw working with voice and bodhran. she plays in another trio with Steve Mullins on guitar and banjolas and Doug Walters on marimba. Then there’s the duo with Anne Marie Morgan on viola da gamba.
Understanding and Learning
As an enterprising force in the world of indigenous and exotic instruments, Sandra further engages in collaborations with a many musicians working with diverse genres of music. Sandra goes on to create and personally facilitate musical study trips to different countries — leading people into the heart of individual folk cultures through the music and dance of each country. She strives to nurture a deep love of music and the arts in both children and adults.
Sandra teaches privately and in group settings in Boulder, Colorado, via Skype/Zoom and wherever her music takes her. She is passionate about sustainability and donates a percentage of all CD sales and concert ticket sales to organizations working to create sustainability in all aspects of life; environmental conservation, species protection, alternative energy innovation, education, equal rights, and more.
Multi-instrumentalist with a focus on violin and nyckelharpa performing classical (solo and chamber), jazz, and World Music styles including but not limited to Swedish, Norwegian, Irish, Old-Time, Bluegrass, Cape Breton, French-Canadian, Middle-Eastern, Sephardic, Klezmer, Flamenco and Andalusian music, Music Composition, Improvisation, Cultural/Musical Study Trip Creator and Leader, Recording Artist.
A short list of Sandra’s festivals and concerts
Musik vid Siljan (special guest of Ale Möller)
Lofoten Islands, Norway – house concert with Kirsti Huke and Siri Sjaere
Moab Music Festival
Winnipeg Folk Festival
Calgary Folk Festival
Pagosa Springs Four Corners Festival
Hugh’s Room, Toronto
Denver Performing Arts Center
The Music of Sandra Wong
RECORDING ARTIST: 1998-PRESENT
- “It’s About Time” solo fiddle album
- “Joy” solo nyckelharpa album
- “Frolic & Romp” collaborative album with Ryan Drickey featuring dance music from different parts of the world “Sunny Side Up” collaborative album with Dominick Leslie also featuring the playing of Ty Burhoe, Grant Gordy, Eric Thorin, Ian Hutchison and Jayme Stone Recording on numerous artists CD’s including: Nawang Khechog, Ty Burhoe, Rebecca Folsom, Steve Mullins, Lynn Patrick, Deborah Schmit-Lobis, Filippo Gambetta, Jono Manson, Blue Monkey, Eileen Meyer, Beth Gadbaw and more
- Recording on the Soundtrack written by Jami Sieber and Evan Schiller for the PBS
documentary American Masters Dorothea Lange: Grab a Hunk of Lightning
- Meadowmount School of Music – 1991
- Ithaca College School of Music — Bachelor of Music in Violin Performance- 1997
- Circle Songs 2012 with Bobby McFerrin
- Circle Songs 2013 with Bobby McFerrin
- Ongoing studies in Sweden 1999-present
- Fiddle/Violin Teachers:
Pers Hans Olsson
- Nyckelharpa Teachers:
- Kulning Teachers:
- Nyckelharpas- Sören Åhker http://sorenahker.com/eng/eindex.htm
- Nyckelharpa bows– Jean Claude Condi http://www.nyckelharpa-condi.com
- Violins-Various older and more modern instruments and bows, 1 made by David Goodrich-http://goodrichviolinshop.com
- DPA 4099 instrument mics
- Vanguard stereo mic
- Grace m108 Pre-amp- www.gracedesign.com
- Henriksen Bud amp- www.henriksenamplifiers.com
- AFM Local 1000